Saturday 20 February 2010

This One's for Joe

I was never much one for heroes
Putting folk up on a pedestal
I was never much one for icons
But one day in my life would see change

I jumped in a car with Dave and his dad
And headed from Norwich to London
A dark cold night in October '81
We were on our way to the Lyceum

The Clash were playing
Seven Nights in a row
We saved pocket money for tickets
And decided to go

Two Young Punks
With fire in our hearts
Joe and the boys
Blew us away from the start

A set based heavily on Sandinista
Sorry Joe,we were too young,we missed ya
When you played close by out in the sticks
In those hot summer days of '76

So we stood and watched the show
Mick,Paul,Topper and electric leg Joe
We finally got to see The Clash
Worth every penny of hard saved cash

This one's for Joe
And if I dare say so
On that cold night 29 years ago
Joe you became a hero





No comments: